PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TransAsia in the water?
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2015, 07:09
trommel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
interesting... i thought aviation had moved on a bit from this??

sure the crew made one error, but then just about everyone here has, we have all at one stage in our career sat, taking a few deep breaths thinking i really shouldn't have done that, but we got away with it.

Some of you may not realize that with two engines out the crew were down to battery power (they had no APU) once a relight is attempted the PF's only screen can auto change its mode an engine start page, leaving you gliding with a IESI and no reference bugs while you try and get your PFD back.

Do many of you practice gliding on an IESI, trying to avoid buildings without any reference speeds? i guess you have all memorized the best glide speed for all configurations and weights??

A really good point earlier on about about the engine partially shutting down and auto feathering, that may have been a causal factor??? along with training etc.

These guys didn't set out to crash this plane, they for all we know were highly respected pilots who made an error, true it was a bad one, i don't see any point in vilifying them, and being pious from my arm chair. I would rather learn from their unfortunate mistake.