PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructing takes skill
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2003, 11:20
Victa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Instructing takes skill

Have recently gone through my flight training with the usual problems associated with instructors! The quality of instruction made me quite ill as I saw dollar after dollar just disappearing from my bank account. I made a vow to myself that I will become an instructor after my CPL training and I WILL NOT follow in the footsteps of my instructor! I will strive to become one of the best instructors in Australia.

Besides, I saw many other new CPL pilots go off and do their instructor rating and get a job so why not me?

Just over 2 months ago my sister got her Learners Permit and I have been teaching her to drive a few times per week. At first I loved it, the responsibility and trust your 'student' gives you. We both were having a great time! But alas....after the first week I begun to get bored and agitated. My comments became less constructive and I showed more criticism. Both of us were clearly not enjoying it as much as we initially did.

I COULD SEE THAT THIS WAS HAPPENING BUT APPEARED TO BE DEFENSELESS AGAINST THIS NEW ATTITUDE THAT WAS INFECTING ME.

Just would like to get your opinions on this matter and whether you suffered the same fate as an instructor. Did you ever get over this attitude and if so, how? Even if you are not an instructor I'd be happy to hear what you think. I think more research and discussion on the psychology of instructors could be beneficial for everyone!