PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TransAsia in the water?
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2015, 12:06
SpannerInTheWerks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instead of the Authorities going mad and chopping everyone in the skill test, why not see the crews are trained in the first instance? However, try as we may we will never eliminate human error, never. We all now have a fair idea what happened. The question is why?? Basics not being addressed??
There is obviously a serious trend developing in, what appears to be, inadequacies of pilot training - in all parts of the World.

This can't be helped by PTF schemes and the like which run in opposition to historic pilot training philosophies.

The 700 hour CPL/IR route used to ensure that emergencies were practiced and practiced again in order for budding airline pilots to hone their skills and develop that all important 'instinct' for flying - either through the instructor or air taxi route, for example.

I had 1000 hours before I started my first commercial job - not a minimum 200 or so hours with no experience outside the flight training school/academy computer-based simulated environment.

The old standards were there for a purpose - and the erosion of flying experience required to gain licences and obtain employment over the past 20 years or so may be coming back to haunt the industry?

Computers are fine - but it is the pilot who should have the knowledge, qualifications and experience to FLY the aeroplane.

It seems that commercial pressures and operational requirements caused by an ever expanding, rapidly developing aviation industry are leaving the human factors behind.