PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Photos in flight? Bad idea!
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2015, 09:47
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thing

In some ways I think we are maybe talking on the wrong subject Maybe the thread should have been what do you do to kill time on long boring stretches between way points

Some do the sunday times crossword, some may flirt with the female in the right seat some may take pictures.

So its probably more a question of when its safe to take a picture or when taking a picture will distract you from a critical phase of flight.

i am sure there are some who flare to land with one hand on the yoke and the other holding a camera /phone

The most interesting shots are taken low or against large cumulus clouds near sunset where the light intensity is not so great.
so the low shots are likely to be at a time when the pilot should have his full concentration on landing or taking off the approach and departure.

You also have to look at impressions that taking pictures gives to passengers ?
in my jet it does not give a good impression to the PAX to see the captain clicking away / its not professional especially in a private jet where the PAX arec more involved with the crew than in an airline where the crew are behind closed doors.
take my word for it Airline pilots do take pictures

flying private light aircraft for fun means the pictures are more acceptable to PAX and the non professional nature of the flight.

So really this is about safety and when its safe to take photographs or unwise to do so.

Into that mix comes the fact of how experienced the pilot is and it indeed may be the case that in rare circumstances the right pilot could flare the aircraft with one hand while filming with the other

Pace