PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2015, 05:11
Fratemate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Living and commuting from SYD is not a problem with this job. Assuming you're using the C Class option, AJX will book you on the QF22/21 and this has been the case for many years for Oz commuters. If you use the ZED option then you can get home however you like (direct, via HKG, via SIN, via BKK or even via domestic airports if you're unlucky enough to have to get a Jet* flight from Japan). Their preferred way of doing things is to use ANA, then Star Alliance and then others but they have been known to 'flex' things in the past and continue to do so. ANA have announced they will be starting a SYD service from HND (and possibly KIX), so maybe in the future you will have to take the ANA flight instead of QF and enjoy the delightful cabin temperatures that only the Japanese do so well

I don't think the course structure has changed since they were still flying Zeroes around the place. So, it's classroom for air law, radio theory/law etc followed by the JCAB written exam, then 767 ground school, FBS, FFS, type-rating test (if you don't already have one) and then the ATPL test. One more medical so they can issue your ATPL and then you get to go home for 10 days. This time off can sometimes be longer or a bit shorter but 10 is the normal plan. Expect this phase of training to take up to about 5 months for a non type-rated pilot. After that you've broken the back of it and its then back to NRT for a couple of weeks of ground school to 'learn' the airports (yes, shake your head in disbelief just as we all did) and then you start your OJT. I believe this is 12 sectors for an FO but don't quote me on that, as it may well be more. Another check follows OJT and then you're finished. Usually this ties in with your days for the month and most people take some vacation that they'll have owing, so normally people go home for 2-3 weeks after they take their final check. Captains have more sectors to do, so don't get to go home as soon.

You will have a couple of opportunities for your wife and kids to visit while you're in training. If I remember correctly, they'll pay the airfare once for the whole family, plus 7 days accommodation and then once for the wife's airfare plus 7 days accommodation. If you're a bird then replace 'wife' with 'husband'. Many without kids (or very understanding relatives) have their wife stay longer and, as before OJT you're in apartment accommodation, this isn't a problem. During OJT you'll be in the Excel Hotel, so I assume your wife would need to be paid for.

They seem to be recruiting like mad at the moment but none of us can work out why they're increasing their numbers so dramatically. Rumours are rife regarding the 787 etc but if ANA know what their plan is I don't think they're sharing it with AJX and certainly not us worker bees. The good news is there's plenty of slots to join, the bad news is we don't know what's ahead. What's new