PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - European/US bases China Southern: a lie?
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2015, 01:01
USMCProbe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Birdstrike;

LOL. Yes you are on your way after the first medical. Until your next medical. The new doctor notices your scar and discovers you don't have a gall bladder and tells you that you need to have a gall bladder transplant, and you are med down until you complete the procedure.

The medicals aren't difficult. They are insane. Literally. They practice medicine like they drive. Have you even seen them drive?

As far as foreign bases, you really can't count on it. Just like western airlines, they change their fleet plans regularly. The CS guys based in OZ are happy at the moment, but next week they might decide to put a triple on the route and they get 2 weeks notice that they are now CAN based. Air China did this to a bunch of European pilots 5 years ago. I met a bunch of them right after it happened. I believe a bunch of them resigned.

If it works out for you, China can be a good deal. I worked at a Chinese airline from 2010-2012. We were treated great. When I got the contract there were 9 expats. A couple of times they got up to 16 or 17, then would go back to 7 or 8. Right now there are only 2 pilots still there that were there when I left.

It is a very insecure job. You never know how long it will last. It is best suited for a pilot on a leave of absence from another airline. If it doesn't work out, which it probably won't, you still have a job somewhere else.