PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TransAsia in the water?
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2015, 23:34
Ka6crpe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Theinquisitor, I don't know where you get your 400 - 600 fpm from In that video the aircraft has a nose up attitude of around 10 degrees, and is descending at an angle of at least 14 degrees (may be more depending on how far away from square on the camera angle is). We know that the groundspeed was around 81 kts, so the verical speed at that point must be around 20 kts or 2000 fpm (81 * tan(14))

I took these angles by putting a protractor on the screen, so may not be that precise, but certainly a lot more than 400 - 600 fpm.

Another way to get the rate of descent is to look at the video in post #8. From when the aircraft first comes past those high rise buildings to the point of impact is 5 seconds. At 600 fpm that would mean a descent of only 50 feet, we can see it is much more than that. Then look at the flight data record so far released and we can see that in the last 5 seconds the rate of descent was greater than 2000 fpm, and that the average rate for the last 12 seconds was 1500 fpm.

What this tells us is that when the aircraft went past that building in the video, its rate of descent was between 1500 fpm and 2000 fpm, and increasing.

On that basis I will stick to my comment that the video segment shows an aircraft that is stalled and not under full control.