PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2015, 19:58
Danny42C

Filthy Lucre.

"OMG, paying the ciivilian Staff" !

Seconded, MPN11 ! As I've related some time ago, I had the same problem paying my chaps in Cannanore, and in an earlier, pre-war existence, it was my lot to have to pay out hundreds of small sums which included 2/- and 1/- coins nearly every time. "Coinage" really meant something in those days, and all calculated without the aid of computers.

harrym,

Thanks for another enthralling Post ! You seem to have hit the jackpot this time and no mistake. But, as you and I and many others found, elevation to the peerage brought with it all manner of irksome duties, among them being "Officer i/c of Something or Other" (usually the worst job of the lot), which your seniors had made vacant for you by some crafty reshuffling prior to your arrival in the Mess.

At HK$ 16/£, it was much the same as my Rs14/£, and, like you, we had a tiny Rs1 note, but as we paid our chaps to the nearest Rs5 below it wasn't too difficult.

Looking back, the discrepancy between the incomes of the Sahib (or Tuan ?) and the locals takes the breath away. A (newly qualified) Indian doctor or teacher would be content with Rs20 per month: as a Sgt/Pilot I was on Rs280 p.m. and as a F/0 Rs600 (All Right for Some !)

Looking forward to your next instalment,

Cheers, Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 7th Feb 2015 at 19:15. Reason: Typo.