PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TransAsia in the water?
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2015, 19:07
sandiego89

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Tu.114--- Maybe this information has slipped past me in this thread, but with all this discussion about the crew being focussed on the left hand engine, I ask myself - why should that be?

Apart from #1 engine being critical due to the propellers direction of rotation, is there any technical peculiarity to the ATR that makes the failure of #1 particularly undesirable? Possibly even to a point where actions in that case will be expressively briefed during the departure/emergency briefing?
Tu.114, yes you missed it. Look at posts 250, 262, 266 and elsewhere. Posters are indicating there may have been rumors or concerns about #1 on a prior flight. Rumor of a write up or problem with #1. So folks are proposing a theory that the mishap crew may have been pre-disposed to worry about #1. They likely discussed the issues #1 before departure. A warning goes off, and in your mind you are thinking "oh this must be a problem with #1". It was an engine they may have been worried about and it was fresh in their mind.

Subconscious pre-dispostion to assume your warning/issue is with a known problem. If you had a known issue with your water pump in your car, like it was leaking or making strange noises, and your engine suddenly dies as you are driving down the road, you may jump to the conclusion that your water pump just failed, as you were "worried" about it.