PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus laws: direct law
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2015, 18:59
AF330

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good evening,

No Amadis...I had said that I will answer on the 5th of feb, but I couldn't.
So I just wanted to excuse myself. I have started this thread so If I leave it...it doesn't look good (at least for me!). Hope you understand.

I first would like to thank everyone to have helped me to understand how the plane reacts. I also looked to F-COM, some questions were answered, some came!

Normal law

Ground mode

Everything is programmed. You are in direct link with surfaces. The turn will depend on the speed of the aircraft. Even if you turn the SS with Full deflection, everything depends on speed.Usually, small deflection = ailerons. Big/full SS deflection = spoiler + Aileron.
You don't have roll demand. It is simply programmed. But again, speed of the aircraft will make the turn.

So, for example, we know that:

At 0 kts - full side-stick deflexion = Aileron + spoiler
You can check it during check-list.

As you take speed, aileron/spoiler movement will reduce for each side-stick deflexion - for example:
If at 12kts, at full side-stick deflexion, you have a certain amount of aileron and, let's say spoilers X, Y and A (I am sorry, I don't know their real number - have to learn them!), at 18kts, you will get less amount of aileron and only X and A.

At take-off (after you have selected TO CONF?), you don't have lot of aileron/spoiler because as you have speed, even small amount of aileron can keep the wing to level.

Flight mode:

In flight mode/flare mode, the roll rate is calculated. If you turn the stick at a certain deflexion, the plane will get the roll rate (roll demand) by using aileron, spoilers and rudder at any speed.

Direct law

Direct Law is similar to Normal Law's Ground Mode, but it is not exactly the same. In Direct Law, the aileron/spoiler deflection is proportional to the sidestick deflection.

So basically it doesn't take the speed.

So if you turn the SS at full deflexion, on ground, in flight, you will get the same programmed aileron/spoiler movement.
So if you turn the SS to 3°/s, the computer has a programmed value (doesn't care of speed) of aileron/spoiler movement.
So it can be dangerous during take-off to move the SS, one of your wings can touch the RWY...

Before going any further, do you all agree?