PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fog and other IMC departures
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2003, 06:26
Capn Laptop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you will find that all low vis operations in this country are actually illegal because the exemptions issued to operators are dependent upon the airport having low vis procedures in place and operating at the time of the low vis departure.

ATC do not have any promulgated low vis ops procedures and neither do the airports - these procedures are intended to stop vehicles (and aeroplanes) entering the active runway etc.

It is a technical point I know, but if anyone does come unstuck in low vis it will be interesting to see hoe the insurance companies and that that well know arm chair quarterback CASA react after the event.

I think I know what CASA will do and say - I can just about write the script for Peter Gibson - the face of the regulator and font of all knowledge!

"CASA are investigating a serious breach of the regulations by XYz AIR today after one of the airlines Boeing A402 twin engined aeroplanes suffered an engine failure of the number three engine and left the runway in high winds and fog.

CASA considers this a serious breach of the regulations and the travelling public needs to be protected from this kind reckless and dangerous behaviour.

CASA has suspended the operating licence of xyz and asked them to show cause as to why they should continue flying innocent members of the travelling public around australian skies.

The fact that no-one was injured or killed was a miracle, and the airport authorities should be congratulated for their swift action in reaching the aeroplane only 25 minutes after it crashed. The pilot "First officer Smith and his co-pilot Captain Jones have had their licences suspended pending an inquiry - it is believed that the pilot may have consumed some alcohol prior to the flight - one of the people on board the aeroplane claims to have witnessed the pilot at a restaurant the night before this serious incident occured"

The bit he would leave out is that the aircraft suffered an engine failure after injesting the airport safety operators car into the left hand engine after he entered the runway without a clearance.... and the person onboard who saw the pilot drinking 14 hours before the incident was a F/A who was seated at the same table...

Am I getting too cynical????