PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scum
Thread: Scum
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2015, 12:57
LS-4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ShotOne
Without for a second disagreeing with the basic premise here, i.e. IS being unspeakable vermin, is there not a trace of self-centredness in the demands that "now we must pull out all the stops...etc"? That's "NOW", not last week or last month. Is this maybe because this particular victim happens to be someone with a job and background we recognise and identify with? Why is nobody insisting we deploy forces -nukes even, against other groups guilty of atrocities -Boko Haram or janjaweed for example? Maybe we could even save some sunshine for the Lords Resistance Army?
Same thoughts.

Also:

Bombs can?t defeat Daesh: Iraqi exiles | GulfNews.com

“What is needed to eliminate this terrorism is to eradicate the motives behind injustice, marginalisation and genocide, and to give people back their rights and freedoms,” he said in the Jordanian capital Amman, home to thousands of Iraqi refugees.

(...)

Sunni clerics and community leaders living in exile in Jordan say power-sharing in Iraq between Kurds, Sunnis and Shiites will be needed to bring stability to the violence-wracked nation.

Without a political consensus between all Iraqis, “we will not be able to beat Daesh, and even if we succeed another group will emerge — another Daesh,” warned Yahya Al Kubaisi, a consultant for the Amman-based Iraqi Centre for Strategic Studies.

Sa’adi, the cleric, said the US-led coalition carrying out air strikes on the militants must “revise its positions because the situation will get worse across the world”.

He urged the coalition leaders to meet Sunni figures to hear their demands, including the creation of an Iraqi government of technocrats.

“When our rights are met, we will know how to deal with Daesh. This is our problem,” he said.
I won't pretend to sit on any good answers here, but as always I think it's wise to stay frosty. Use of force - yes, but gotta be smart and patient about this. I've never believed much in frenzied "Endlösung" stuff. Ninja it, as someone said.