PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tired and Sad
Thread: Tired and Sad
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2015, 08:28
Arfur Dent

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Which heads will roll, Frank?
We, as a generic group, are poor at bothering to write things down if, eventually, everything turns out well. Most of the time that's exactly what happens, of course. How many times have UK/EUR pilots done an AL that includes an early morning departure from Manilla or Tokyo? How often have we put up with appalling, thoughtless 'legal' rostering because it seems too hard not to? How often, when we are subjected to what can only be described as 'rostering abuse', do we report it by means of an ASR/ASR(F)/ MOR/ letter to the Fleet Office copied to the CAA/ report to the AOA??
We don't bother so the hapless Manager (poor Dear) really has very little ammo with which to make a case even if he/she wanted to.
I once asked why 3AL's on the trot were rostered as above ie with return sectors that effectively started for me at about 0100 with no sleep. A 'licence busting', potentially difficult trip that is deliberately planned at such a time!! The answer was that they would continue to roster such a flight ( preceded of course by an 18-30 hour 'rest period') becuse 'nobody complains'.
So there we have it. I have personally submitted post AL ASR(F)'s on 2 occassions and never heard any more about it. Next time, I will simply go sick in Tokyo due to predictable lack of rest and they can find someone else to fly the return sector of my AL. Can you imagine what kind of reception that would get when the last 50 UK based Captains have all 'completed the mission' successfully. If 10 of the first such pilots to be rostered that way went sick in Tokyo CC would never roster such a trip again.
Point is, mate, that nobody in CX or CAD would be held accountable unless something illegal had been done. Pilots would be blamed.
And that's just rostering. Corporate negligence in recruiting inappropriate cadets to fly serious machinery is another time bomb altogether!!