PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 5th Feb 2015, 21:42
dragartist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X and Dougie,
I too was associated with the HAADS but not responsible for the initial introduction. The first cutes you tested in readiness for your Gorazde Op were imported from Irvin California and modified for the British way of doing things. Why we could not have just adopted the US methods I never did fully understand. The initial SD was maintained (yes reviewed every 6 months) for many years. The SD approved the parachute mods ( A loop of 1500 cord at the apex to attach the static line so it broke away at the anchor cable end) It also authorised the JATE report as the SOPs. It took years to get this into the C book and suppress the SD. We bought 1000 chutes to this developed standard and designated them SC21. RAB and rationalisation caused disposal of 800. Last seen in a barn not far from Kemble. When we needed chutes for Afg we tried to buy them back. The asking price was double what we paid new. We managed to keep 200 for training in support of HUMAID but not hold any for HUMAID if that makes sense. HUMAID was not a capability funded by this Force for Good who employed us. These 200 chutes were consumed doing trials on the C130J. No one had the balls to read anything across from K to J. I don't believe any were deployed in anger. So much for interoperability.

Last edited by dragartist; 5th Feb 2015 at 21:43. Reason: chronology J to K