PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Caution wake turbulence"
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2015, 21:37
Di_Vosh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love it!

Personally, I think "Caution wake turbulence" is a good idea and if used appropriately can be very good info for lighties in the circuit. (I'm a Qlink driver and have NEVER heard it used, btw).

As other posters have said, you can often get a feel for the other traffic in the circuit and can get a handle on their experience.

e.g. At Mildura there is a flying school. They are used to operating in the circuit with Dash-8 arrivals and departures, and they appear to have high standards. I wouldn't consider such a call necessary to one of them. But... Mildura is one of the airports that an Adelaide based flying school (that uses Tobagos) use on their Navexes. Some of the standards these guys display can be "somewhat less than desirable". I would definitely consider giving such a call if one of these were behind me in the circuit.

But sadly threads like this degenerate.

It's gone from "Caution wake turbulence" to all the other bull**** that people with too much time on their hands just love to get wrapped around the axles about and come on here and have a go:

Finals
Taxis
Flight levels
This time
*EDIT: and comments about how "poor radio calls" means "poor everything else about their airmanship" (Thanks DERFRED)

Re: Flight levels:

Funny thing is, it's pretty common to hear Centre advising other IFR traffic about a Qlink Dash-8 "climbing to Flight levels". Interesting, as Centre will know what FL the Dash is going to request (if they haven't already).

Does this mean that the centre controller is vicariously trying to be
some cool sounding wally with fantastic airmanship.
or otherwise trying to bignote him/herself?

DIVOSH!

Last edited by Di_Vosh; 6th Feb 2015 at 02:26.