PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TransAsia in the water?
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2015, 20:35
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To me as a twin TP pilot of a barely enough powered auld heap.

Apart from the speeds which some are interpreting as airspeeds which I believe are ground speeds it seems to be not to bad.

The crux is the engine securing. I have done a feather failure only a couple of times in 10 years and never on departure below 1k in the sim. Its not required as part of the LPC.

From doing OPC's in the aircraft and the TRE not setting zero simulated thrust after you have identified the engine with everything spot on 5 deg of bank, bang on Vyse she will descend with quarter tanks and just two of you onboard and 200kg of ballast in the boot and you will be at the control limits of both rudder and aileron. This I might add is the same in both TP types that I fly.

Put the "dead" engine up to 10% simulated and she will climb at 1000ft per min and regain both rudder and aileron to about 50% max travel.

With a full load of freight on we get 500ft/min climb rate in that config (don't ask we had a TRE that used to do that sort of thing when there was no pax on, to be honest looking back it was superb training if not a bit dodgy. I was doing single engine work with him every empty or freight flight sometimes 3-4 times a month for nearly 2 years)

If they had pulled the wrong engine it would have dropped out the sky pretty much vertically.

Secured as I use it just means the appropriate shutdown checklist has been completed or if not at least the memory items completed. I believe only one engine on the ATR's has a brake for hotel mode but I doubt its used in the event of a shut down. Windmilling on those dagger type props I think has a limit of 5% rpm if it gets above 10% it causes problems with fire drills as your meant to wait until the rpm is below 10% before firing the fire bottle. I am not a ATR driver so any that are can say if I am talking mince or not. They can adjust the windmilling speed but its extremely rare that its ever checked the faster it windmills the more drag you get.

Last edited by mad_jock; 5th Feb 2015 at 21:39.