PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 5th Feb 2015, 16:23
FDMII

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RetiredF4;
http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/5...#post8855181As long as the elevators are nose up from neutral, the trim will not move afaik despite the SS nose down position. As the certification requirement is -1 and +2.5g, I assume that a full nose down SS input would not deliver more than 0 G (i could not find a reference with the applicable loadfactor demands in relation to the SS position). A controlled manual trim input would assist the SS input and not counter it.
I concur. Experiments with the A330 sim, (understand the arguments re sim "duplication of stall" and "no-data", etc.), demonstrated that the THS followed SS position; full-ND SS brought a -13° THS setting (the result of an extended NU SS), to approximately -2°, recovering the stall in about 45" with a height loss of about 15,000ft. Manual rotation of the trim wheel forward could only help.

IIRC from the Perpignan accident report, the THS stops trimming with a stall warning. I would have to consult the report again to see if a comment or recommendation regarding the use of manually setting the THS would have provided conditions for recovery - they didn't have much altitude to start with...