PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - High blood pressure
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2003, 03:40
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
INSIST on a 24 hour reading before taking the pills. I ALWAYS have a high BP reading - close to the CAA limit, if not over - when I go to a doctor, despite the fact I get on very well with my AME and don't knowingly feel nervous. I had a 24 hour reading after insisting that readings I took myself were normal, and the average over 24 hours was something like 122/80, and never went above the normal range, despite a "normally" stressful day...yelling at a few people, and getting annoyed with the bloody monitor strapped to me etc. I went to my AME with my 24 hour read-out in triumph, and definitely not nervous. He still couldn't get a normal reading, and "White Coat Hypertension" is now down officially on my form.

My feeling is that it's something pretty deep-rooted. I'm careful about my health, diet etc almost to the point of fanaticism, but I never go to a doctor if I can possibly avoid it, and I don't really know why. But I do know they raise my BP! But to tell you the truth I'm totally pissed off with this whole blood pressure obsession of the medical profession. When I did my Initial Class 1 at Gatwick, there were a series of charts there which I read in my spare time, relating high BP to sex, age, high cholesterol, etc, and the whole lot to risk of heart disease etc. I wish I'd asked for a copy, but my conclusion from a thorough reading of the charts was that if you were FEMALE, and had no other risk factors, your BP had to be absolutely sky high before it put you at risk of heart disease, strokes etc. Yet still doctors tut-tut at any single reading over 140/90. QDM, any comments???