PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane hits bridge, crashes into Taipei river
Old 5th Feb 2015, 11:12
Droste

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asia Aviation Standard

Originally Posted by Skybound79
So many plane accidents hitting Asian carriers this year.. Signs of declining standards in maintenance/flying competencies?
Skybound79,

There are both maintenance and flight training/competency issues.

Taiwan
Taiwan does not have a proper flight training school.

Till today, there have surplus of ROC Airforce pilots. ROC Airforce military license conversion copied the US style. However, they did the "short cut way" in full motion simulator and got their civilian license in one simple checkride.

ROC Airforce pilots are good in flying their own military planes. The Singapore Ministry of Defense recruited these ROC Airforce pilots to train the RSAF pilots. I can even dig out whose idea was. Nonetheless, the ROC Airforce pilots were frustrated while in Singapore.

Indonesia
Indonesia used to do it like Taiwan. Indonesia Airforce pilots did their one time checkride in a civilian full motion simulator and that's it. In fact, many single engine rated pilots directly cross-over and fly in full motion simulator (eg Airbus or Boeing). With just one simple checkride these Indon guys got multi-engine rated in huge jet! Imagine military rotary guys are able to hop-on directly in huge fixed wings. Impressive isn't it?

Malaysia
Malaysia is the same too! I am not trying to be crude or expressing racism. "They help their own skin colour". Years ago, DCA M'sia has been converting RMAF military license to civilian license as easy as flipping the pan-cake.

In Year 2009, I have seen a RMAF pilot who has not flown for >15 years, got a checkride in twin-engine and became a civilian multi-engine instructor. The DCA M'sia waived all his theory examination. I can name out the fellow who did the checkride.

There are many Asia countries (excluding Singapore) protect their own citizens. These countries rather take in their own citizens than employing qualified civilian trained pilots.

Last edited by Droste; 5th Feb 2015 at 11:28.