PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Photos in flight? Bad idea!
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2015, 09:39
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh come on! No piccies while flying? Because someone lost it in IMC while having a camera on board? I have albums from my trusty Canon AE1 and I kept rammed between the Chippy's seat and cockpit wall (the massive scratches on the 'leather' camera cover testify!). And megabytes of memories from later cameras. Just make sure you fly the aeroplane at all time while taking the pics!

Like Mad Jock I've had the aeroplane in all sorts of attitudes to get the wing out of the way, etc (a deep slip was common). I'd slide the canopy back a couple of notches so not shooting through perspex, roll wings vertical keeping the speed up, and use the rudder to keep it there as long as possible while taking the picture, always ready to ditch the picture and take back the stick if I though it necessary.

Gentle turns could be easily maintained using rudder alone, leaving the hands free for the camera and plenty of time to compose the picture. I got a lovely shot of the summit of Snowdon like that! Here's Bardsey Island:

And here's one I took out of the front, landing at Liverpool:

Flying is far too much fun not to record it for looking back on. Just don't be a berk - remember that no.1 is FLY THE AEROPLANE!