PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do some folks choose to become pilots?
Old 5th Feb 2015, 04:31
HarleyD

Location: Aus, or USA, or UK or EU, or possibly somehwere in Asia.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dad was a pilot before I was born.

I wanted to be an astronaut, but all the good positions were taken.

I saw a 'crop duster' at work and decided that was for me.

That was 40 years ago and I'm still a full time GA commercial pilot. I been a crop duster, a charter pilot, flight instructor, flown some other interesting ops, blue water international ferry, demonstration and display, production test pilot and developmental test pilot. Still travelling the world doing GA delivery and intro to service for new customers and flight testing for a manufacturer.

I have friends around the world and attended most of the premier aviation events. I have stayed in Air Force officers messes of several interesting airforces around the globe, and seen most of the wonders of the world from a GA aircraft cockpit, hand flying, no co-pilot. Thousands of hours spent in my own company mainly, or with a Flight Test Engineer of similar mind.

Would do it again in an instant, but would try harder to stay married. In fact I am trying harder these days, another restructuring would ruin my toy collection for retirement. I have enjoyed almost every hour, although there have been a few terrifying moments. I have come home without the plane a couple of times, but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

I have a replica ww11 fighter project half built in the shed, with NO electronic displays, no GPS, no nuthin other than a Battle of Britain pilot would have. Just how I started in the late 60's early 70's. Back to the future for me.

I recall talking with Bert Rutan once and he said "If people want to live on the ground, that's their problem"

I concur

I am close to spending two years of my life as an air dweller.