PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Caution wake turbulence"
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2015, 03:36
maverick22

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
You blokes really are getting your knickers knotted over nothing here. The "climbing to flight levels" phrase is used on the CTAF in the departure call. A departure call is not even a requirement these days as per CAR 166. Our company requires us to make a departure call when making a turn contrary to circuit direction. I make one in any case.

We also do not depart until we established comms with ATC. This is either through VHF or HF. When HF is used, we still (well I did anyway when I was an FO) make an all stations broadcast on the AREA centre frequency. This means Mr Renurpp et al, that at no stage will you ever encounter a QLINK dash 8 unannounced in your travels. Centre will always pass us on as traffic to you because we have established comms prior to departure. So the fact you are getting a departure call on the CTAF is icing on the cake.

Now here is a question for you guys. When do you stop listening to the CTAF on departure, when there is no overlying airspace? Because by Renurpp assumptions, we'll be chatting to him all the way up to the 'flight levels' on CTAF, because he won't take Centre's word on what level we are climbing to!