PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Strange fuel consumption scenario!
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2015, 22:46
Capt Quentin McHale

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi hossein,

Looking at the data that you supplied I think you have two unrelated problems. Your fuel and engine instruments are ok, they are doing their job.

Engine first... 300kg fuel used difference due to left engine at flt idle and right engine at high power setting for some time. Look at your photos and compare EPR's and fuel flows.

Higher EGT suggests possible older engine with more wear and tear and therefore operates slightly harder to maintain selected thrust settings. All other parameters are stable.

Higher oil pressure with stable oil quantity and temp would indicate to me an impending oil filter blockage.

Now fuel... I can only assume you had 1000kgs of fuel in the centre tank at takeoff and used that first. Centre tank fuel pumps have a higher output pressure than the wing tank pumps. Looks to me like the left tank pumps may have a failed check valve either in one (rare) or both (extremely rare) pumps. This will enable fuel to pumped past the check valve and into the tank which results in that tank "making" fuel as indicated on your fuel page. This scenario will cause a run around circuit of fuel even with centre tank pumps off and wing pumps on. You will not see the left tank decrease until crossfeed valve is closed and wing tanks are supplying their respective engines. Hope this helps.