PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TransAsia in the water?
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2015, 20:26
JammedStab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Livesinafield
Interesting thanks, but in all my OPC's LPC etc i have never been taught to lower the nose, I am more interested in my speed

Only time i would consider lowering the nose is if i was at a very high pitch angle and even then i am going to keep some of that while i slow towards V2, if i simply lower the nose as you say and its low level i suspect we will loose height

I guess it all varies what type your flying...
In the climb phase, especially initial climb, there will inevitably be a lowering of the nose to accelerate. This is what the level off height or third segment is all about. Lower the nose, accelerate, clean up. Even for enroute climb, if you want to maintain the same airspeed, what are you going to do. Cruise altitude and you need to drift down, how are you going to do initiate the drift down. If you are more interested in airspeed(which is the important thing) how else are you going to maintain it or increase it when required.

Originally Posted by Massey1Bravo
Interesting, I didn't expect the overuse of ailerons would have such a major impact on performance to the point where the aircraft cannot maintain altitude, especially for a large turboprop. I mean this isn't an MU-2 with roll spoilers.
The ATR does have roll spoilers to augment the ailerons. While not nearly as significant as an MU-2 which has no ailerons, adding significant amount of roll input will raise the associated spoiler reducing lift on that wing. Same with many large jets. I have seen someone in the sim use lots of aileron(with spoiler deflection) in a multiple engine out scenario and it just contributed a continual loss of airspeed(for that type and scenario).

If there was an engine failure with no autofeather in this accident, six-bladed props might make things worse as compared to the older 4 blade engine aircraft.