PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2015, 17:23
Geriaviator

Received 241 Likes on 75 Posts
As to Kindle v. Paperback: none of us has any difficulty in reading PPRuNe on our laptops etc. How is this different from reading on Kindle ?
Danny, for me, it's a question of reading screen or old-fashioned paper. This old-timer prefers the feel of a proper book, it's like a silver service steak dinner compared to a Big Mac.

However, it may go further than personal preference. Last week The Times reported that screens are dealt with by one area of the brain (striatus) while learning activities are dealt with by the hippocampus which handles long-term memory. I summarise but that's the general idea, never mind the gritty eyes etc from long-term squinting.

It seems that learning from screen may be transient, learning from books may last longer. It certainly makes me wonder about the attention span of so many youngsters who appear to be fused into their iphones.

Recent events in aviation also make me wonder. Last time I flew followed a 24-year layoff, yet I found the flying as easy as riding a bicycle. Not so the wonders of the glass cockpit in which the familiar panel appears on a screen. With so many knobs and permutations to play with I fear some may forget to fly the aeroplane.