PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON History and Nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2015, 16:07
OUAQUKGF Ops

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
LTNman's last photo of Autair's Herald and Viking G-AGRW is one of my all-time favourites. The corner of the top floor of the building (part of the hangar) behind 'RW' is where Autair Route Planning was - with Ian Barras-Smith and his team. The ops room proper was next door. Even back in those days (1967) we had a CCTV camera perched on the roof above us so that we could watch the arrivals and departures on the runway. Round about the time this photo was taken the ops department was moved down the hill behind the hangars next to the catering department. Very dark and dingy it was too and probably had rats tho' I must admit I never saw any. Incidentally the ops staff lavatories at Gulf Air Muharraq was the place to see rats but that's another tale.

Autair's two remaining Vikings spent their last years based in Templehof and operated daily to Schipol from where they freighted flowers to the Berlin Markets.

G-AHPB and G-AGRW were both retired during the Summer of 1968 and both aircraft were subsequently flown to Soesterberg in Holland.
www.vc10.net/History/vikings_of_soesterberg.html

The airframe of G-AGRW still survives today having been displayed in the vistors' area of Vienna Airport before being placed on a plinth at a Macdonald's nearby and more recently being re-assembled as such, at Voslau Kottingbrunn, Austria.
www.austrian-aviation-museum.com