PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TransAsia in the water?
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2015, 10:58
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't think most on here realise the amount of drag you get on a prop if you don't secure it.

To simulate a feathered prop its not uncommon to have to use 10-14% on the dead engine.

Over the years there have been many many incidents when there has been a partial failure and the engine keeps turning but giving intermittent burst of power or something below the simulated failed engine torque.

On my TP type at MTOW the stall speed is 84 knts. Vmca is 101knts Vr is 111knts.

Tim Allen at BAe systems did a extremely good article about the dangers of trying to nurse an engine home on a turbo prop when it is producing less than 15%- 20% torque 10 years ago. And its something that I have hammered into me in the sim as well.

Vmca goes through the roof with one engine at full chat and the other at flight idle way way above Stall speed. There are no numbers produced but in the sim my type will run out of rudder and aileron at 115-120knts and the stall speed is still the same and it won't climb never mind pref A performance until the engine is secured.