PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 4th Feb 2015, 07:19
ancientaviator62

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I was looking through one of my log books for something else and came across this entry. On the 25 April 1996 we took XV 190 on an Op Resolute trip to Split via Paderborn to pick up the troops. The captain was Hptm S. A fairly regular task at that time but this one triggered a memory.
After landing at Paderborn the crew wandered off to the terminal but I stayed with the a/c as was my wont, and sat on the crew entrance door steps in the Spring sunshine with a cup of tea watching the world go by. Very shortly after the captain came back out to the a/c. There was a party of German schoolchildren looking round the airport and would I mind if they came to look round the Herc.
Of course not ! I was very happy to show anyone around even the Devil if he would promise to improve the heating.
There were about fifteen eight to nine year olds with a teacher who spoke English. So they come up the ramp and I point out the Elsan high on the fuselage wall in the stowed position. As usual this provokes much mirth.
One of them asks teacher a question and she translates. No we do not have to climb up to it and I demonstrate how it was lowered on the bungee. Another question , could they sit on it ? So amid much laughter they all took turns (yes smudge the lid was closed).Of course you never have a camera on these occasions.
So we carry on towards the flight deck via trying the seats etc.
Then the captain shows them round and they try all the seats.
When it is time for them to go I rifle through the pax drinks packs (always too many) and give them a carton each.
As they depart I start to laugh. Hptm S asks why. I said you can imagine when the kids get home and the parents ask them what they did at school today. 'Well we looked round an RAF a/c and all sat on the loo'
He thought it was amusing at the time too.
Just one of these little interludes that made the job.

Last edited by ancientaviator62; 4th Feb 2015 at 07:20. Reason: spelling