PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 3rd Feb 2015, 20:59
Aluminium shuffler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Ancient Greek:

My guess at why several stalls have been maintained or exacerbated by pilots hauling back on the column/stick is that it is human nature when scared to grab and pull tight. However, it does show that these individuals and many, many more don't have the appropriate training or experience to overcome that primal instinct. I think removing spinning and aeros (or at least reducing the amount done) and reducing the stalling exercise amount in licence training (at all levels from PPL to ATPL) is a big mistake. I can't help feel that a large amount of training at the edge of the flight enveloppe would sharpen trainee's handling and hone the correct reflexes.

Tdracer - I understand what you're saying about the aural stall warning in 'busses, and agree. Unfortunately, its not possible to fit stick shakers in those crappy little side sticks. I like the idea of a side stick, but I'm horrified that they have no feedback of any sort from the autpilot or other stick. That is a lethal design flaw. I will always be convinced that it is a principal factor in both the relevant accidents and will kill more people yet because the pilot who understands what is happening to the aircraft doesn't realise what the other pilot is doing to the controls, assuming basic competence of not holding an ac in the stall.