PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another way in?
Thread: Another way in?
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2003, 23:12
stevethescotspilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another way in?

After much thought and consultation I am almost at the stage where I have decided to put my flying training on hold.
If I was to go ahead and join the September course in Jerez I would hopefully graduate with an ATPL when I was twenty. However, that's all I would have. No money and probably no job. (although there is a chance of getting recommended while on the course, it's too slim to pin my hopes on)
This means that if the industry is as bad as everyone is making out, all my friends would be getting degrees and establishing themselves while I would be firing off endless application forms for too-few jobs.

I need to know if this is the case. What realistically are the chances of getting a FO job straight out of flight school?
I don't want to gamble everything and then end up in a meaningless job because the airlines weren't hiring and my ATPL became meaningless.

IMHO a better option would be to build up a career in another part of the industry, eg ATC, which I'm sure would be equally rewarding, gain financial independence, 'get inside' the industry and make a few contacts, and keep the PPL going before re-evaluating in six or seven years' time and perhaps then booking up that place on the ATPL course in Jerez.

Its a massive decision to make and I'd like to hear some opinions, particularly from anyone who could say for sure what the job situation is like and whether it's wise to press on or wait a few years.

Look forward to your replies,
Thanks,
Stephen Moyes