PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New GCAA Flight Time Limitations - It Could Not Be Any Worse
Old 3rd Feb 2015, 01:13
lowstandard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess Note 3 on the bottom of the NPA is the killer. Stick time only counts, which is what I have been hearing.

The GCAA define long flights as the following

Long Range : 7 - 14hr flight time
Extra Long Range : 14:01 - 16hr flight time (two set of flight crew)
Ultra Long Range : 16hr + flight time

Even though according to the following;

CAR - OPS 1.1105 General principles

Factors to be considered when planning duty periods shall include:

(a)The allocation of work patterns, which avoid such undesirable practices as;

(1) alternating day/night duties,
(2) the positioning of crews so that a serious disruption of established sleep/work patterns
occur
(3) the scheduling of rest periods between 18 and 30 hours especially after long flights

crossing multiple time zones.

So the ORD layover amongst others, while legal, goes against the general principles of the GCAA CARs. No problem for EK as they have no principles.

EK says we can fly up to 14:59 minutes with 3 crew but cars says any flight between 14:01 - 16hrs requires 2 sets of crew.

These are very subtle changes but they will be maximised to EK's advantage and whomever else may be an operator in the UAE. These changes are going to be slowly introduced with a little $$$ thrown at us to make it all wonderful. At least you will be too tired to remember why you are tired.

I'm happy to say the bags are being packed and I'll be joining the line at the door soon.