PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Experience, the priceless asset
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2015, 21:50
Shaft109

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Common sense

Excuse the slight intrusion here, but something i've personally noticed in my experience is lack of common sense and logical thought in practical things. Now i've always been the kid who after getting a bike, or RC car would have it in bits by boxing day and the same when i started driving, i swapped a camshaft out of a SOHC Golf GTi into my old Audi 80 just for laughs but having made my mistakes on bikes i'd learned enough to avoid basic errors and managed not to destroy the whole thing.

But it dawned on me recently that the people I went to uni with or more recently worked with in logistics companies have real depth of understanding with practical hands on things. Not saying I'm a font of knowledge but more people than ever quote the university of google at me on how to fix their car when i mot it, or say 'on the internet it says.....' when only a few years ago people seemed to have a better grasp of fixing their own cars, wiring plugs or planning the warehouse out.

They just don't seem to want, or be able to figure things out like i was taught to. That said my metalwork teacher also did tech drawing as he'd been with a company working on the TSR2 and Jaguar so i trusted what he said.

In short we need a few more Fred Dibnahs and Guy Martins.

Also apologies for any spelling errors or grammar, writing this on new phone that has a mind of it's own.