PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 2nd Feb 2015, 15:05
Jet Jockey A4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the big beefs with the Airbus design is that the opposite stick does not mirror the movement inputs that is being done with the stick of the PF and I agree this is perhaps a flaw in their design. If in doubt from what I understand there is a “Master” switch on the left side stick that disables the RH side stick.

As far as their “LAWS” are concern, I don’t think having some protection is a bad idea.

Even the Boeing C-17, another FBW aircraft as built in protection for stall via AOA sensors, perhaps not as extensive in some ways as the Airbus but also more permissive in other ways because of the theatre of operation it conducts its flights in. Even these protections did not stop a C-17 from stalling and crashing killing all 4 crew members while performing an over aggressive manoeuvre prior to an airshow.

Another interesting design philosophy the designers of the C-17 went for was a stick like on a vintage aircraft like the Piper Cub, not a side stick like on the Airbus nor a regular column like the B777 for their FBW aircraft and again unlike Airbus both sticks move in tandem.

In the end no manufacturer can make a “full proof” aircraft and it is up to the pilots to know each aircraft’s “quirks” and systems to fly it properly and safely.

Last edited by Jet Jockey A4; 2nd Feb 2015 at 19:42.