PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eurocopter, 4 new rotorcraft by 2020, X4, X6, X9, ..
Old 2nd Feb 2015, 14:32
SansAnhedral

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
To date the S-97 has the exact same time aloft as the 53K, X4, and 525...not to mention late itself!

The S-97 hub and drivetrain are derived from the X2, essentially the same. There are numerous ABC patents that illustrate some details.

It appears, from press photos at least, Sikorsky maybe solved the riddle of the sail fairing that never flew on the X2. I suppose we will have to wait until the Raider actually flies to see if thats the case, as the X2 was always photoed with the fairings installed on the ground as well.

And Nick, a 30,000+lb GW rigid rotor ABC coax is still squarely in the vaporware category. I'm sure you can appreciate the scaling issues between the two; as long as Sikorsky keeps spinning the S-97 into only being a "slight" step from SB-1 I am convinced that they will try to use the Raider as the FVL demo aircraft.

It certainly would be embarrassing when they make the requisite changes to get an ABC up to 30,000lb (rotor spacing) and can only fly 170kt due to the massive drag increase.