PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde v Concordski
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2015, 14:17
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it will be in my mind till the lamps go out..
Mine too!

I remember taxying out at Manchester for 24 (as it was then) past the Airport Hotel, its back garden packed with people who'd come to see the beautiful white bird, all waving like mad. The crew were too busy to wave back, so I did as I was seated next to the cockpit side window, just behind the captain. They were jumping up and down and the waving was manic!

We were only going to Paris (via Biscay for M2 and 60,000') so were lightweight. The acceleration zero to 250 mph on the runway was sensational - well under 30 seconds to rotation! Soon after T/O the nose and visor were raised, and the cockpit became eerily quiet. We were on a Brecon SID cruising down over central Wales at M0.95 (even subsonic she was quick!). I remember looking out of the front windows at about 50,000' and seeing the Severn Estuary lined in bright yellow (the beaches), Devon and Cornwall beyond, and the Channel in the distance. If was a lovely August day in 1999 and the few cu clouds so far below they looked like white splodges on the ground. I heard in my headset "Speedbird 123 if you look up now you will see you are about to be overflown by Concorde". I looked out and down and Speedbird 123 was a little minnow scurrying over the landscape far, far below us.

M2 was a non event - no bumps or bangs, just rock solid quiet smoothness, with that black sky, dark blue lower, and the curvature of the Earth. And all the pax coming forward for a look at the amazingly complex analogue flight deck (it is an old aeroplane!).

Power off, height maintained for the decel, approaching Cherbourg subsonic and descending, the wakes of the ferries in and out the port looking like white chalk marks on a blackboard.

Cabin secure, three thumps as the gear went down (4 greens - Concorde has a tailwheel!) coming down the ILS it looked like the sort of power-off steep approach I favor in the Chipmunk, but it was 3 degrees of course; it just looked steeper because of the high alpha required to make that lovely wing produce lots of vortex lift at 185 kts approach speed.

We greased onto CDG's runway, the nose wheel was landed, the captain applied full forward stick as reverse was selected which, along with the super-powerful carbon brakes had us vacating at an exit I'd though far to close for us to use as we swung out over the grass being about 40' in front of the nose wheel. Then that strange bouncy ride (that 40' overhang again) to the gate and shut-down.

Wow! As you say, it'll be etched in my mind 'till the lights go out!

Last edited by Shaggy Sheep Driver; 12th Feb 2015 at 11:47.