PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Experience, the priceless asset
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2015, 11:13
langleybaston

Received 686 Likes on 246 Posts
Experience, the priceless asset

Discussions "in another place" regarding the AirAsia tragedy are spending a lot of energey on debating the issue of possible lack of experience of first officers.

I am very interested in the military view.

First, though, my employer's view as it was when I started in 1955. To be a weather forecaster of the MoD Met. Office, one needed a slack handful of Ordinary Levels, and at least two science A Levels, although many had more, and a fair few had degrees.
The Initial Forecasting Course minimum entry age was 22 years, to be 23 before a period of "sitting by Nelly" with real weather, real customers, and real aircraft. Once let loose on the innocent aircrew, supervision was exerted by a parent Main Met. Office, which laid down a party line for the area, and scrutinised all TAFs issued by the airfield office.

Experience was gained the hard way, by frequent detachments up and down the country. Based at Leeming, I did short stints at Acklington, Linton, Dishforth, Topcliffe, Manby, Wyton and goodness knows where else ..... all in the period 1964-1967.
Given enough ticks in boxes, one went on to the Advanced Forecasting Course, a minimum qualification for promotion to what was then Experimental Officer, later called Higher Scientific Officer. [If it helps, this was said to be EMR Flight Lieutenant when overseas and subject to Air Force Law].

There then followed a MINIMUM of ten years service before eligibility for the next promotion, which would enable the now 35-plus Senior Scientific Officer to be a forecaster at a Main Met. Office. [EMR Squadron Leader]. For my part, I was very glad to have "seen that, done that" up and down England, in Cyprus, and in Germany, before making the grade.

So, getting to the point, how does that sequence of courses and gaining a great deal of experience compare with the customers' career path? I felt that 23 years of age was a bit silly when my fighter pilot customers seemed much younger than that!

Is there a substitute for experience, and, if so, what is it?