PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 1st Feb 2015, 21:32
silverstrata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gendoon:

well, in certain scenarios with the 737, that is exactly what you do, you turn off the hydraulics esp to the rudder.
Only because some twit made a single actuator rudder, and an even bigger twit certified it. You cannot hope to design a systems protocol that is founded upon foolishness. And besides, you never cut all the hydraulics to a 737 rudder, as the thing will fall out of the sky if you do. (No cable back-up, I'm afraid).

mountainbear:

What still remains to be understood is why some pilots revert to an incorrect cognitive map under stress.
Indeed, but it happens. I think it is mental overload, when reality does not equate to what the mind thinks it should be. Have seen this many times in ab-initio training, when the aircraft goes beyond the comprehension and capabilities of the student, and they go into tunnel-vision mode or freeze mode.

The only way through that comprehension barrier is repeated training, so that the unimaginable becomes normal and routine. This is called 'training'. But the sim is not so good at this, because you need the adrenaline of a real situation to get the brain steaming. This is why I like computers - they are all the same, they are good to go from day one, they don't pump adrenaline, and they very rarely 'steam'.