PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 1st Feb 2015, 21:10
mseyfang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll take the computer.

Here's the thing about a computer--it still has enormous upside because the software is the result of a collective endeavor. It is true enough that in short run there might be more accidents but in the long run it will produce significantly less accidents than any human. We have seen this is every field that computers have been involved in.

It is not a question of IF the computer will take over for the human pilot, only a question of WHEN.
I don't see why this has to be an either/or proposition. There are times when a computer is better suited to a particular task and times when a human pilot with full control of the aircraft is better suited to a set of tasks that fall outside what the programmers envisioned. Humans make mistakes, but they also are capable of doing things right when things really hit the fan. There is no computer on Earth capable of what doing what Al Haynes and crew did with UA 232 or what that Aloha crew did with their 737 when the roof came off. On the other side, TCAS, windshear detection and GPWS have been quantum leaps forward in making aviation safer, though those systems still require a human pilot to intervene.

I agree with you that the computers will get better, but that still does not eliminate the need for sound airmanship in commercial aviation, particularly in the area of judgment. Computers still do as instructed and as the saying goes, garbage in gets you garbage out, as the 1995 Cali accident demonstrated when the wrong waypoint was entered into the FMC. We may get to the point where once the plane is pushed back it starts, taxis and takes itself off, then lands and taxis itself to the gate. Such an aircraft will also fly merrily along its pre-programmed course into a thunderstorm or other peril without human intervention.

I'm not against technology, but I also think that pilots ought to have the skill set to safely plan a flight and hand fly if conditions warrant and I don't think that's asking too much because no computer can be programmed for every contingency that may occur.