PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How much does your private flying cost you?
Old 1st Feb 2015, 21:03
150 Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What this brings home is the (un)economics of the industry.

If as an aircraft owner you were tempted to hire out, you are (I believe) restricted to CofA types and therefore most if not all of the lower cost examples above need to be ignored.

So, take the costs I've declared above for what is a typical trainer/hire aircraft. They were £150 per hour. Knock out the hangarage and it drops to £120 per hour. I know Fuel is more expensive than market rate at home base, but maintenance I pay is I believe in line with market.

However, if hiring then there would need to be a CAMO involved which as private owners we don't need, and I'm guessing that even as a low hours PPL my insurance is going to be lower than an aircraft available for hire. Although the full value of maintenance will be seen (50 hours will be 50 hours flying not 6 month time elapsing) you would expect the maintenance costs to go up-hired planes I'm guessing don't get respected as well as owned ones. Furthermore as a hired plane engines will need changing on calendar time irrespective of hours and compressions.

So overall, even if the swings and roundabouts cost the same as I'm paying (which seems a bit optimistic), how does anyone expect to make money given that a wet hire rate for a C150/152 is iro £125ish per hour ?