PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ex-GR Nav, Wg Cdr (Retd) Paul Smyth, to run for Parliament
Old 1st Feb 2015, 17:39
Biggus

Received 73 Likes on 33 Posts
Sophy,

My advice, for what little it is worth, is that, while you are perfectly at liberty to do so, you are wasting your time posting on this particular website.

In attempting to become a UK member of parliament (for non UK readers) you have chosen to join a profession, that of full time politician, that I believe is generally held in very low regard (perhaps even contempt would be accurate) by both members of the UK armed services and the UK population as a whole.

I also believe that, with the possible exception of Harrier pilots (that is an attempt at humour!) most members of the UK military are generally quite modest about their accomplishments while in the service. Exaggerating, or "bigging up", ones CV might be standard practice, or even a necessity, in the "real world", but it doesn't sit well with military readers.

Finally, once again in my opinion, your politics themselves are not natural bedfellows with the majority of serving members of the UK military.

Thus, in summary, I consider you are on something of a hiding to nothing on this particular website. Perhaps you should take a leaf out of your party leaders approach to this election, and stick to your core vote rather than trying to persuade anyone.

I wish you neither good nor ill fortune in your quest to become an MP. I suspect that since you seem to ideally fit the Labour Party's criteria, especially in times of all female selection lists, that if you don't succeed in your first attempt then you will be parachuted into a safe Labour seat in the next year or two. Thus it is likely to be a case of "when" you become an MP, not "if".

Time will tell.