PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What has been the one, absolute highlight of your flying so far?
Old 5th Jun 2003, 21:18
knobbygb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has to be flying into Everglades City (X01) in Florida. I'm sure this is somthing hundreds of UK pilots (particularly who trained over there) must have done, but it was my first solo flight in the US and also my first solo trip to an airfield I'd never been to before. Since I first thought of learning to fly when I saw the scale of GA while on holiday over there, that 'first solo' was kind of what all the hard work had really been for, and a bit special.

X01 is on the Everglades coast, with water on three sides, and a couple of tourist boats stopped at the end of the runway to watch me land. I had to go around first time, because I completley screwed the approach (those trees seemed VERY close). I'm sure the tourists thought I was showing off. They were taking pictures of..... ME!

Later the same day flew across to Tamiami near Miami and back to Naples. The most flying I've ever done in a day (3.5 hours) and my highest ever flight (6500ft over Alligator Alley - stunning).