PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 1st Feb 2015, 05:58
training wheels

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Foxxster
I have a questions for 320 pilots. We have heard that the FAC computer required servicing 9 times in the last 12 months. What events would require a service? Does the requirement to 'reset' the computer automatically require it to be subsequently serviced?

And most importantly how many times would be a normal amount for the FAC to be serviced in a 12 month period and if it is less than 9 which as a non pilot seems a hell of a lot, at what number do you as pilots turn around and say you are not flying until the underlying cause is identified and fixed?
I don't fly the A320 (yet), but the report you heard was 9 write-ups of the FAC 2 in the tech log during 2014. That is, the pilots who flew this aircraft previously have found faults with FAC 2 on 9 occasions in 2014 and have written this in the tech log for the engineers to fix.

According to this blog, a news reporter who has leaked information about the technical status of the aircraft, FAC 2 of the accident aircraft (PK-AXC) was swapped with one from PK-AXV two days before the accident. What bearing this has on the accident, I don't know and will be the subject of further investigation by the NTSC no doubt.

Every aircraft has a MEL (minimum equipment list) which states what systems/instruments etc and how many of those items need to be working before you can legally depart. Depending on the equipment and its redundancy, for some items, you may depart with that item not in working order, but it needs to be fixed in a certain time frame or else the aircraft is grounded. There are of course "no go" items which means certain systems need to be fully working, or you can't depart.