PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is: Flying VFR into IMC?
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2015, 23:45
triton140

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by custardpsc
Instead of scaremongering the dangers, getting some strategies to deal with it is the right thing to do ...
Absolutely! At best, scaremongering will stop us taking off into 1000m vis and 500ft overcast for a frolic in the clouds!

But of course, that's not how it happens. It creeps up on you, and then you're in cloud. My own experience was around Eildon, heading for a gap with clear weather beyond (cue narrowing valley, rising terrain and lowering cloud). I had just made the decision to turn around anyway when I found myself in cloud, seriously scary given the topography. But because I'd already briefed a 180, and was positioned so I could make the turn safely, I made it out - despite having planned, my first (and wrong) panicked inclination was to put it in a steep turn, fortunately I managed a reasonably graceful rate 1 turn out of there and back to clear skies. But those trees looked awfully close!

The Illinois studies test an interesting strategy - simplify everything. Forget the stick/yoke, trim and then use rudder for the turn - thereby minimising overcontrolling and workload.

Some interesting recommendations though, including letting it go to 500ft or lower in training before recovering - "An impending impact with the ground is an excellent convincer" - so much for scaremongering I guess!