PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ex-GR Nav, Wg Cdr (Retd) Paul Smyth, to run for Parliament
Old 31st Jan 2015, 22:43
Lima Juliet

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts
I've just noted that the quote by iraven at post #29 is different to what is posted now on your web-page:

Sophy is the ex-RAF wing commander who is fighting the Gloucester seat for Labour in next year’s general election. She is deeply committed to establishing a fairer Britain, with an economic recovery working for all, not the few.

She lives in the heart of Gloucester. Having served our country for 19 years, she left the Royal Air Force in 2011 and was one of the youngest women to reach the rank of Wing Commander.

Sophy saw active service in both Iraq and Afghanistan and was awarded the MBE in 2002. During her RAF career, she was promoted at the earliest opportunity at every rank, was the first woman in every job she was posted to, and worked hard to ensure that she left the opportunities for those coming up behind her in a better state than when she found them.

She left the RAF in 2011 and now runs a small business working with military charities.

"The coalition government’s track record of broken promises, failure to tackle mounting debt, and general lack of decency towards Britain’s families inspired me to commit myself to campaigning for a Labour victory in 2015. I promise that I will be Gloucester's representative in Westminster, not Westminster's representative in Gloucester, working my absolute hardest for a bright future for our City."
About - Sophy4Gloucester

Why is that? No mention of Air Operations Officer, either?

I've also found another little nugget of yours:

I supported, and continue to understand, the motivation for the UK’s actions in 2001 when we participated alongside the international community to stamp out Al Qaeda who were embedded and comfortable operating in the mountains of Afghanistan. The RAF led that operation and I was in charge of Air Transport Operations during that time. We were asking a lot of our people, operating old aircraft not properly equipped for the threat, and I think our servicemen and women acquitted themselves well in 2001/2. Later I was in charge of squadron operations as we deployed the Harrier aircraft to Southern Afghanistan in 2005. Again I am proud of the determination of military personnel to make a challenging and complex operation work well.

Read more: Sophy Gardner: My time in Afghanistan | Gloucester Citizen
Follow us: @GlosCitizen on Twitter | GlosCitizen on Facebook
I am sure there is a Harrier Sqn OC and some Flt Cdrs that would beg to differ on who was "in charge".

Also, I noted "The RAF led that operation" - that's not really true either. Yes, it was Air Marshal Stirrup but he was appointed the UK National Contingent Commander by PJHQ which is a joint operation. There were quite a few assets from 40 Commando and others actually taking the bad news to AQ and the Taleban whilst the RAF provided AWACS and AAR assets. So even though I am light blue, I wouldn't be so bold to state "The RAF led that operation"!

LJ

Last edited by Lima Juliet; 31st Jan 2015 at 23:01.