PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2015, 19:27
dogle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
fredjhh's memoirs?

Conversation in the Crewroom having lapsed for a moment, whilst our aircrew ponder a while, and quietly contemplate the stove ...

.... like many others I am very much looking forward to reading regle's autobiography on paper (Kindle?? .. harrrumph! - never, Reg is one to be savoured with deference) with a few glasses of something appropriate to the occasion.

It is now a just a couple of years since fredjhh's daughter mentioned here, following his departure on his final sortie a few months earlier:

"My greatest fear is that I shall throw away something of value (sentimental/historical) from his great collection of war memorabilia. My father wrote his memoirs down which we are having self published. I'm not sure if anyone would be interested in reading this. We don't intend making profit from it but in order to cover costs it will possibly cost around £20 (it is no small tome...277 pages and A4 size)."

I am in no doubt that we are, en masse, 'interested', especially in reading about Fred's stirring exploits in occupied Europe after he had been shot down, which he was always too modest to mention here.

Searching of PPRuNe, and dragging the Big River, has not given me any lead to publication ... I have today been so bold as to despatch a PM to his daughter asking whether things are happening but, in view of the long interval, I am not too hopeful of a response. The mention of page numbers and format, however, suggests that intended publication was fairly imminent even two years ago - does anyone have any information on this?