PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Short-Field experience (on jet types)
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2015, 18:15
PSF2J

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sop_monkey,

You remind of me of the kind of pilot that would fly an aircraft into a mountain, because the book or SOPs said it would be safe.

If you think that by adding on 1.67 factor you are safer, then think again. Why not just make the factor 3.00 just to make sure? I've seen stupid landings far too long into the runway, which the crew justify as acceptable because "we added a safety factor".....seriously? This factor should not need to be used.

The AFM is data that can be achieved by the average pilot. Ask the manufacturers. I did, because I was fed up of ill-informed instructors telling me it was "test-pilot" data. If you don't consider yourself/your skills to be even average, then perhaps its time to hang up the flying goggles as there isn't a safety factor big enough for you!

Give me a 1.0 factor any day. Whenever I've used it, I have been pleasantly surprised by the margins still remaining. Maybe I'm just amazingly arrogant, or just happy with my own skill set in what I do, plus I know my aircraft intimately YEAH BABY!

What doesn't help is people trying to fly into performance limiting airfields with no change of technique from airfields where they have a 10,000ft runway. That is going get messy.