PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet - 4
Thread: EasyJet - 4
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2015, 15:17
WHBM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Well I'm just pleased that Carolyn McCall has made a professional statement about the future of UK aviation, and it does come over like that rather than the sort of narrow partisan view that the likes of O'Leary would make. Yes, it is in the overall interests of UK aviation to increase the capacity at Heathrow. Build a second runway at Gatwick and you will STILL have everyone holding at Lambourne for 30 minutes most days, while the doubled capacity at Gatwick, which Easy as the No 1 user will have to pay for, goes unused.

It's also in Easy's interest as well. A 50% increase in Heathrow capacity and both BA and Virgin will be gone from Gatwick overnight, just like the US carriers all walked out on the place the moment the Bermuda 2 restrictions were lifted.

To be frank, I'm getting fed up with Gatwick's ludicrous and partisan advertising. Recently they have taken to posters along the M4 to Heathrow saying that traffic along there would get worse if Heathrow's extra runway goes ahead. Just how long do they think it would take to get out down the unmodernised A23 through Brixton and Croydon if Gatwick doubles its runways ? Not everyone wants to fag over to Victoria and run the gauntlet of the most unreliable rail service in London out through East Croydon etc. I imagine Carolyn McCall is equally hacked off with the downright rude comments Gatwick made about her statement ("narrow commercial interests"), given that Easyjet are Gatwick's No 1 customer, and that Easyjet know way more about UK aviation than a bunch of USA-based investment lawyers. I hope she tells them so in no uncertain terms.