PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is: Flying VFR into IMC?
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2015, 14:13
custardpsc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All well and good speculating on the dangers of loss of control due to spatial disorientation and how long a vfr pilot might last in an inadvertent vmc to imc , but there are other issues worthy of discussion, notably icing/freezing level. Unlikely a vfr pilot will have that as a primary consideration when in a cloud ? what about water / ice on the pitot ? I've lost the ASI temporarily in a rain cloud in a 152 due to water. That can also contribute to disorientation even if you have a good instrument scan.

Poonpossum's dead right though. Instead of scaremongering the dangers, getting some strategies to deal with it is the right thing to do, specifically, proper training ! Nothing to stop any ppl getting some hood time or actual conditions with an instructor. Could be done at BFR time.

Here in the Uk, we have a rating between VFR PPL and IR, specifically for flying in IMC, which is 15 hours on straight & level, radio nav, a bit of partial panel, unusual attitudes and two 'getout of jail' approaches, plus all the common sense that comes with that.

Best thing I ever did was this rating - gave me some experience in actual IMC under controlled conditions and taught me how, why and when to avoid cloud. Also made me realise that sometimes its a lot safer to be in a cloud than scud running.