PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Strange fuel consumption scenario!
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2015, 09:07
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about balaning fuel in case of engine failure? In my outfit we are taught to switch the x-feed on and keep all 4 pumps in to draw fuel from both tanks to the live engine. In the sim it works like a charm. How about real life? I suspect it may lead to situation similar to that described by the OP?
As Denti says and you suspect, works well in the Sim. In real life who knows, but likely as per OP

If you open the fuel X feed (with no fuel leak), then the imbalance rate cannot be any worse (it may even be less if you have a stronger pump on the dead engine side). The benefit is all the fuel is now available to your only running engine. You won't starve the engine until all the fuel is exhausted
Yes... but as experience has shown, X-Feed is dangerous. Unless you really know the engine failure cannot have damaged the fuel system it is, IMHO risky.

Our training altered, if only in part because the ECAM drill also altered - the "Open X-Feed" IIRC was removed in a later software standard, and replaced with "Monitor Fuel Balance" or similar? I now tend:
  1. Engine failure on takeoff
  2. In ECAM drill write down the tank quantities, but don't touch anyhting unless urgent. Quick assessment v serious leak?
  3. Complete climb, assessment, doodar etc.
  4. Now look at fuel again - you will have built up a fair imbalance. Can now take a longer look at leaks and quantity/balance v "plan"
  5. Now decide if it's worth balancing? If so do it, but keep an eye at every "review".
  6. In the unlikely (or very likely in the Sim) event of a GA, reassess.
Summary: Fuel X-Feed and balance can spoil your day (Azores A330) and need to be treated with care = to me, 2 crew involved at low workload points.

Never mind what really happens, but if I was a Sim Instructor and saw someone merrily open the X-Feed I know I would now be pressing the Fuel Leak option