PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OPeration Corporate AARI'S
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2015, 14:58
Darvan

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Manxman57 (and Archimedes), I can add a little further clarity to your enquiry. I have a copy of Annex E to the RAF Waddingtom Form 540 for May 82 (for Black Buck 4) right in front of me at his minute. The author does clearly state 'As AARI I was flying from the right hand seat'. I believe the author would have been Chris Lackman who was the mission co-pilot (The F540 compiling officer was usually a junior officer on the squadron). Only Chris and Brian Gardner sat in the right hand seat on BBs 4, 5 and 6; Neil McDougal never got out of the left hand seat - not once. I guess Chris meant to write and should have written, 'As the AAR pilot....', NOT 'As the AARI....', as he most definitley was not an AARI. Of course there is a chance that Brian composed this narrative for the F540 (but he too was not an AARI). But just to add a tiny bit of confusion, the signature at the foot of the document belongs to Neil McDougall!

It just shows that even Forms 540, written in the immediate aftermath of an event when memories are fresh, do not always tell the truth.